onsdag den 22. juli 2026

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas (1844)

 


The Three Musketeers

As I finished reading Alexander Dumas’ “The Three Musketeers” on my way to my summer vacation three weeks ago, I have had plenty on time to think about what to say about it, now that I am back home again. I think time has mellowed my opinion a bit from a somewhat more critical position.

“The Three Musketeers” is one of the more famous works in the canon of nineteenth century literature. There are countless film and TV versions of the story, and I seem to recall an illustrated children’s version that I read as a child. It was therefore a bit of a surprise to me that the only elements I actually recognized, now that I read the book, are names of the four (not three!) musketeers, Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D’Artagnan, and that it took place in seventeenth century France.

The original story was written as a serial and at great speed. This can be clearly felt in the organic development of the story that sort of forms itself as the story moves on. Dumas may have had some idea where the story should go, but clearly only in rough outline. There are threads started that are not or unsatisfactorily followed through and there are tangents that develops into major plot elements. Haphazard story development may be a bit harsh. Organic is a nicer term.

Our main character is a young man called D’Artagnan, who arrives in Paris from the province with the ambition to become a royal musketeer, an elite force committed to the protection of the royal person (Louis XIV). D’Artagnan is on friendly terms with the leader of the unit, Treville, and gets a position as a guard, but not quite musketeer (yet). D’Artagnan also quickly becomes friends with three (The Three) musketeers, Athos Porthos and Aramis. This happens when he challenges each of the three to a duel on swords on the same day...

Early on it becomes clear that there is a rivalry between the musketeers and the Cardinal Richelieu and his minions. Richelieu is described as an evil and cunning schemer who employs dodgy characters to promote his personal ambitions. The first adventure of the musketeers concerns some diamonds that the Queen (Queen Anne of Austria) has given to the love-struck English Duke of Buckingham. The diamonds need to be retrieved to avoid compromising the Queen. Following this, D’Artagnan falls in love with the pretty Madame Bonancieux, who then disappears, apparently abducted. He also gets involved with a mysterious woman, mostly known as Milady. As it turns out, she is a minion of the cardinal and the arch villain of the story. When D’Artagnan causes her some embarrassment she sets out to kill him.

When the musketeers are sent to La Rochelle to participate in the siege of this city, they demonstrate bravery against the enemy, but mostly they try to defend themselves from the murderous Milady. The story now takes a tangential direction, and we follow Milady on a mission to England to assassinate the Duke of Buckingham, her capture and following escape. For this section of the novel (around a hundred pages), the musketeers are not even mentioned. Finally, with Milady back in France we get a final and dramatic meetup of the characters.

The great strength of this novel, and likely the basis of its massive fame, is the extraordinary flow of the story. Dumas writes dialogue with a speed and fluidity I have not encountered in any novel prior to this one and it is a style massively imitated since. He writes like a modern action movie by wasting little time on descriptions but let the action and the plot drive the story. That has the pleasant effect of making this a page-turner novel that keeps you on edge and waiting for what happens on the next page. Employing this format, Dumas could have written on any topic and it would have been a great read.

When we get down to the actual story, things become a bit more problematic. Obviously, we are supposed to sympathize with the musketeers and think of them as great guys, but in reality, they are rash, violent and proud brutes. Maybe in the nineteenth century their qualities smacked of bravery and manliness, but in the twenty-first century, they are the type of people you do not want to meet on a night in town.

Then there is the conflict between the musketeers and the Cardinal Richelieu. I had a hard time understanding this conflict. Richelieu worked for the (in the story largely incompetent) king to secure and protect France. He drove an organization and centralization campaign we would consider modern and was not surpassed until the era of Napoleon. In a Europe dominated by the devastation of the thirty-year war, he was the glue that tied France together. When the musketeers are in opposition to him, they are largely supporting the enemies of France: Spain, Austria and particularly England. Doing this, amounts to treason and yet the musketeers are the heroes while the Cardinal is the villain.

The only way I can explain this is in the conflict between centralization and regional independence, between king and nobility, state and regions, unionism and federalism. This is a type of conflict that goes back to antiquity and still takes place today. The musketeers in this light represents the nobility who is losing power when Richelieu usurps it for the state. Whether this is a good or a bad cause, I will let the reader decide.

While I read the story, I was frustrated with the meandering storyline, especially the very long detour with Milady, but as the weeks have passed, I see it as less of a problem. Since the flow is never lost and the story remains interesting, it is simply something to accept and just flow with it. And that is the thing with this book: You are never bored by it. Perplexed and confused, yes, but never bored.

That is the best recommendation I can give a book.

 

  


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar